* Los Angeles
* New York
* San Francisco
* San Jose
* Washington, DC
...then you can use the EveryBlock iPhone app to read about news in your immediate area.
Select "Use my current location," and the app will show you what's happened lately within 8 blocks of where you're standing. You can also select a neighborhood or type in an arbitrary address to view news in different areas.
We publish dozens of different categories of local news, drawing from hundreds of sources. Much of it is updated every single day. Examples of the information we publish:
* Business licenses (new businesses in your neighborhood)
* Fire alerts
* Local deals / coupons
* Locations in the media (places in your neighborhood that have been mentioned in the news and in blogs)
* Real estate listings
* Restaurant inspection results
Depending on which city you're in, some things you can do with this app are:
* Get recent health inspection reports for restaurants nearby
* See which crimes have been reported on the street you're walking down
* Find out what places in your neighborhood have been covered in the news
* Get a sense for property values in your area
Note that information availability depends on the city. Check out our Web site at http://www.everyblock.com/ to see which information is available in your city.
Again, we want to be super clear about the fact that this is only available in 15 cities. We'll be adding more cities over time, and if you're really interested, you can keep tabs on our progress at http://blog.everyblock.com/ . If we're not in your area yet, you can cast a vote for your city on the http://www.everyblock.com/ home page or through the app itself.
If you have any questions or feedback, drop us an e-mail at email@example.com.